is within ... polygon shape?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jun 24 10:53:22 EDT 2005

Recently, Steve Bonham  wrote:

> Intersect doesn't work after all. It appears that one object will
> intersect with another irregular object's rect and NOT the objects
> true shape (polygon points).
> See illustration... at:
> http://academics.georgiasouthern.edu/cet/SB/ball_fairway.jpg
>
> Is there a way to get Rev to:
> 1. evaluate IF the loc of an object is within the shape (defined by a
> series of coordinates) of an object?
>
> OR
> 2. evaluate IF the loc of an object intersects with the shape
> (defined by a series of coordinates) of an object?

I believe some folks on the list have written collision detection routines
that can detect intersection in several situations.  I think Malte Brill
might know something about this.

That being said, collision detection on irregular shapes can work by using
images that have a transparent background and point references.  Using the
within() function it is possible to accurately detect whether a point falls
within the image since Rev will evaluate a point falling within the
transparent region of the image as false.

 get within(img 1,myPoint)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director