Confirm Long File Name Bug in Player Object

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 23 17:39:28 EDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> So, we are stuck... mmm. I guess i'll have to implement a work around
> to preserve the long file names in some custom prop, field or global,
> truncate the file name on disk...  reset the player to the truncated
> file name... all on the  fly, when the transcriber finishes work,
> restore the file to it's original name.. export the matching .xml file
> (of the transcript and metadata from the discourse) with the long
> name... all doable, wish me luck!

Truncating and then restoring the file name might leave the name
shortened on a crash or other abnormal exit, unless you do something
special.

Perhaps you can use a custom prop on the player and use that in all
cases.  The setProp handler can then check for name size and do
whatever is needed.  That might be creating an alias, copying the file,
or (as you mentioned) shortening the name.  It can also do whatever is
needed to clean up after the old name.  Quitting need do something
simple, such as setting the custom property to empty.

(I have no idea whether an alias will really work for a player.)

Dar