compileIt for Revolution?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jun 23 15:48:17 EDT 2005

Eric-

EE> There's even an entire article on macTech "Comparing HyperTalk to Pascal" which
EE> says,
EE> "Both Pascal and HyperTalk provide powerful if-then-else control structures
EE> with very similar syntax."
EE> "The specification and calling of user defined functions in Pascal and
EE> HyperTalk is almost identical."
EE> http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.04/04.09/HyperTalk,Pascal/
EE> "Based on the comparisons presented above between Pascal and HyperTalk, it
EE> should be clear that HyperTalk is indeed a powerful language with many
EE> similarities to Pascal."

EE> I could keep looking, but I think I've made my point.

Er... hardly. Conditionals are what makes something a programming
language. This is what separates, for example, basic from html. Simply
saying that a language has an if-then-else contstruct doesn't make it
Pascal.

Also, at the time the MacTech article was written Pascal was *the* way
to program the Macintosh. Those of us programming in Lightspeed C had
to shoehorn our routines in to match the Pascal routines in the
toolbox. The articles of that vintage were aimed at the "all right...
you know how to program the Mac in Pascal, here's where HyperTalk
differs from it and how it's similar" audience, so the comparisons are
de rigeur. *Especially* since the article is titled "Comparing
HyperTalk to Pascal".

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net