the := operator (affectation)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 22 19:19:47 EDT 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Sorry, Richard, I respectfully disagree.
>
> People learning a new environment are constantly confused when there
> are too many ways to do the same thing. Same is true of a programming
> language. One of the fundamental design principles behind Python is
> that there should be only one right way to do anything. One man's
> variety is another's confusion.

Precisely: it depends on the man.

When teaching Transcript I tend to focus on the methods that will best
resonate with the learner, and try to avoid the ones that confuse.

Like you say, Transcript already offers many different ways to get the
same result....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation