the := operator (affectation)

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:24:18 EDT 2005

How is this even a continuing topic of discussion?  Hey Japanese - I
think Katakana is too complicated.  Let's stick to 26 symbols, ok?
Yeah.  I'd like that next year.  Transcript a different language.  It
isn't Pascal or APL, or Fortran or Cobol or LISP or anything else, and
thank goodness for that.  Do you actually ask the C++.net people for
this special treatment, too?  Do they do anything but flame you off
the list?  I mean - why :=?  Why not go for broke and do it the basic
way?  = can be used for assignment and comparison, and it's less
typing, so let's do that.

I can see someone coming from C asking for some sort of different
syntax (uh, no), but Pascal?  Please.

Why not just abandon Transcript?  Let's just generate a universal
interpreter/compiler.  Mix syntax, languages and whatever as you
choose.  No problem.

Is it ok if we don't get that implemented before 2.6.2?  We have a
couple of things slated for 2.6.1 first.
--
http://taoof4d.blogspot.com
http://4dwishlist.blogspot.com