Installing MySQL On OSX

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Jun 21 13:04:50 EDT 2005

>Hi,
>
>I'm currently evaluating Rev and so far
>I am indeed impressed.  I come from
>a Delphi and C++ background so Rev is
>quite a clever solution per my eval'
>so far.
>
>I do have a question that I wondered if
>anybody using Rev might know the answer
>to - hopefully.  I'm investigating database
>options.  MySQL is a possible solution but
>my users would have kittens installing it. <g>
>Is there an installation tool available for OSX
>that would alleivate this issue - the one with
>MySQL is to complex...?
>
>Alternatively I'm looking at ODBC - but it's
>limiting because it seems users have to have
>MS Office installed to use drivers for the likes
>of Access, Paradox dBase etc.
>
>Any suggestions highly regarded.  And I must say
>the Rev community is excellent from what I've
>read lurking on this email list the last few days.
>
>Kind Regards,
>
>Scott Kane

To quote another post from today:

If you are used to using SQL databases and want a local solution then
SQLite or Valentina might serve you well.  Neither require any extra
setup from the user.

Card databases can work for storage but if you are used to the
relational db model then you might run into some limitations
depending on your needs.  You can get altSQLite from
<http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altSQLiteCover/default.htm> and
Valentina from <http://www.paradigmasoft.com>.

--
Trevor DeVore