Linux CGI Missing a Library on Server

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jun 14 20:44:32 EDT 2005

On 6/14/05 5:04 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> I am trying to get Rev CGI scripting working at dreamhost.com, my new
> favorite hosting service.
>
> I uploaded the Linux.x86 engine to the server, set its permissions  per
> their instructions, and uploaded two known-good rev CGi scripts  that
> work fine on my OS X Apache server.
>
> It appears Rev is being invoked because it responds with an error.
> However, the error may indicate I just can't run Rev CGI on that
> server. Any clues?
>
> the error says:
>
> revolution: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required  by
> revolution)
>
> I suppose it's possible they're not running an x86 Linux and that  could
> be the whole problem.

That's really common (only usually there are two missing.) They are
supposed to be included with your ISP's installation of Apache. But not
all ISPs will install those two so you have to ask them to do it. The
Rev engine checks for certain libraries and won't start up without them.
The odd thing is, the engine doesn't ever *read* those files, so -- I
was told -- your ISP can even just put in blank text files as long as
they have the same names. If they won't do it, then your only choice is
to take your business elsewhere.

It happened to me, and I moved. JaguarPC. You don't have to ask for
anything special, their standard installation has everything Rev needs.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com