a bottle of kennie to the first one that finds where the CGI engines went...

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Jun 13 09:47:08 EDT 2005

Mark,

thanks for the quick and good answer! I see now a light at the end of
the tunnel. Just one more question. I downloaded the 2.6 linux distro
and the linux.gz from RunRev page. Both engines (revolution.x86 and
Linux) display GTK warning I am trying to load like this:

-jailshell-2.05b$ ./Linux.2  -ui

(gtk:4788): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

any clue out there? even trying from inside a script like #!Linux -ui
returns the same GTK warning, I think it's trying to connect to an X11
Server

On Jun 13, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Mark Waddingham wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> The latest 2.6 linux engine (engine version 2.6.5) should work fine as
> CGI engine. It has both the revXML and revDB externals compiled in -
> but
> not the drivers.
>
> As I recall, the first (non-CGI) engine version to have these externals
> compiled in on Linux was 2.6.1 so that could be why you are having
> trouble with 2.6 (engine version) engine.
>
> You need to use revSetDatabaseDriverPath (or revdb_setdriverpath) to
> point to the directory containing the database drivers before you try
> and open a database connection.
>
> The engine only attempts to load GTK when you do set the look and feel
> to appearance manager so this shouldn't cause a problem.
>
> Also doing:
>   #! <path to revolution> -ui
> will ensure that the engine never tries to do any gui stuff (and makes
> standard input and output work as you would expect of a command-line
> engine).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark.