Beachball of death

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 12 01:25:45 EDT 2005

Howard Bornstein wrote:
> On 6/11/05, Timothy Miller <gandalf at doctortimothymiller.com> wrote:
>

>>Lately, things got worse. Like I open the stack, I get empty error
>>messages, or an unresponsive error window, I can't edit the stack
>>script, or background script, or I can edit it, but then I can't save
>>and close the script. I try to edit one script, but then another
>>script pops open instead. I tried to trace the bg script, and it
>>actually froze the debugger! When The Beachball spins, I can move to
>>the finder, use other applications, and so on, but Rev is either
>>unresponsive, or responds erratically. Sometimes there's an
>>unresponsive "do you want to save your changes?" dialog box. At other
>>time the glowing red "close" button is unresponsive, though I can
>>always minimize with the yellow button, or bring the window back from
>>the dock. At times I somehow manage to close all the stacks, by
>>clicking around somewhat randomly, but Rev still won't quit. Rev
>>continues to use about 30% of the CPU's capacity at these times.
>

> I can't tell you the cause, but I have seen similar behavior from Rev.
> It seems to go in cycles. Sometimes it does this frequently, and then
> things calm down and I don't see any problems for a long time.
>
> Right now I'm having my own weird situation where every time I launch
> Rev and click in the menu bar (immediately after launching), Rev
> quits. It started only doing this in 2.5.1 after I installed 2.6. Now
> 2.6 is doing it also. Go figure.
>
> I've never been able to find a cause or cure for the problems you've
> described. I just wanted to mention that it's not an isolated
> occurance.

There have been reports of a hard crash occuring in response to certain
text editing moves.  I had filed one myself about shift-arrow to select,
but most such reports have been intermittent (and therefore difficult to
get a recipe for), and I can't find mine in BZ tonight.

If you can find a recipe it'll make it much easier to address the issue.
  If not, provide what you can, including the crash log, and send it in.

While I'm not normally a big fan of multiply-convicted Microsoft, I will
give credit where due:

I was at a Microsoft developer seminar a few years back and the VB
product manager took the stage with this statement:

   As a high-level language, it should not be possible to crash VB.
   Error dialogs are yours to address, but any crashes are ours.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation