Beachball of death

Howard Bornstein howard.bornstein at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 23:09:43 EDT 2005

On 6/11/05, Timothy Miller <gandalf at doctortimothymiller.com> wrote:

> Lately, things got worse. Like I open the stack, I get empty error
> messages, or an unresponsive error window, I can't edit the stack
> script, or background script, or I can edit it, but then I can't save
> and close the script. I try to edit one script, but then another
> script pops open instead. I tried to trace the bg script, and it
> actually froze the debugger! When The Beachball spins, I can move to
> the finder, use other applications, and so on, but Rev is either
> unresponsive, or responds erratically. Sometimes there's an
> unresponsive "do you want to save your changes?" dialog box. At other
> time the glowing red "close" button is unresponsive, though I can
> always minimize with the yellow button, or bring the window back from
> the dock. At times I somehow manage to close all the stacks, by
> clicking around somewhat randomly, but Rev still won't quit. Rev
> continues to use about 30% of the CPU's capacity at these times.

I can't tell you the cause, but I have seen similar behavior from Rev.
It seems to go in cycles. Sometimes it does this frequently, and then
things calm down and I don't see any problems for a long time.

Right now I'm having my own weird situation where every time I launch
Rev and click in the menu bar (immediately after launching), Rev
quits. It started only doing this in 2.5.1 after I installed 2.6. Now
2.6 is doing it also. Go figure.

I've never been able to find a cause or cure for the problems you've
described. I just wanted to mention that it's not an isolated
occurance.

Have a nice vacation. :-)

--
Regards,