errors & hierarchies (newbie)

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Jun 8 20:48:53 EDT 2005

>>A script in stack "xyz" says
>>
>>on mouseUp
>>    do somestuff
>>    go to stack "abc"
>>    do someOtherstuff
>>end end mouseUp
>>
>>stack "abc" has an openStack handler with an error in it:
>>
>>On openStack
>>   do someStuff
>>   start using stack "foo"
>>   do someOtherStuff
>>   pass openStack
>>end openStack
>>
>>The handler in stack "abc" can't find stack "foo" for some reason
>>-- maybe stack "foo" is mis-named, or in the wrong place.
>>
>Where is stack "foo"? What is your stack structure? Are all three of
>these stacks in the same stack file or are they separate?
>If they are separate, then you need to tell it where to find the
>stack file containing "foo", either by setting the defaultFolder or
>by providing the complete path to "foo".
>
>HyperCard maintained a list of locations where you had stored stacks
>and searched all of them in turn so it was hardly ever necessary to
>locate a stack. Rev doesn't do this, you have to tell it where to
>find things or tell it which folder to search.
>
>HTH,
>Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I think I failed to convey the gist of my concern.

Stack "foo" was definitely in the wrong place. When I moved it to the
right place, the error was solved.

The thing that caused confusion was the error message, which
indicated that there was something wrong with the script:

On mouseUp
   do someStuff
   go to stack "abc"
   do someotherStuff
end mouseUp

There was nothing wrong with that script. There was something wrong
with the "on openStack" handler of stack "abc" I can't understand why
such a misleading error message arose out of all this. Maybe there's
a good reason -- or at least a logical reason. If there is, I'd like
to know it.

Cheers,

Tim