Call vs Send

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Wed Jun 8 20:24:20 EDT 2005

Thanks Robert,Dick,Dar,Richard,, --empty item at end of list in case
I forgot anyone ;-)

That is the answer I need.  In my button or field script I can just put:

on mouseUp --this was actually called by another button and not
actually clicked on by me
   DoMyFieldScript --couldn't be simpler
end mouseUp

Then in the card I put:

on DoMyFieldScript
   put the long name of the target into myCompletePath
   put (token 1 to 5 of the long name of the target&quote into
myNameAndGroup
   put the id of the target into myID --many ways to use this reference
   put (token 1 to 5 of the long name of fld id myID)&quote into
myNameAndGroup
   put the short name of fld id myID into myName
   etc.,etc.,etc...
end DoMyFieldScript

This is such a basic concept for consolidating multiple object
scripts that need to refer to the calling object --and it turns out
to be simple.  It seems like a whole scripting tutorial could be
devoted to all the theme and variations on this target etc. concept.
A simple example of each variation along with how and why it should
be used would be a great reference.  I am sure there are many more
tricks like this than I am aware of yet.

Dennis