Uh-oh.... Anybody following WWDC?

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Mon Jun 6 17:01:32 EDT 2005

If it took changing 20 lines of code out of one million, and it took
20 minutes to do this without any training on what to do before hand
to make Mathematica run on the new architecture, that must be a lot
easier than changing to run on a "New Advanced yet to be announced"
version of a Power PC.  What this means is that supporting PPC or the
new Apptel architecture will be largely transparent.  The Rosetta
translator will make it a snap.  If you want to get the last 10% of
speed out of it, you might need to put more effort into it, but if a
little bit of speed is that important, wait a month for the next
processor speed bump.

As far as buying a new PPC Mac now, I am planning on it soon.  I need
another mini for some automation stuff.  I am not worried about it
becoming obsolete in a year.  Heck, every CPU I have ever bought was
obsolete 3 months after I bought it anyway.  And since it is no extra
work for developers to support the older installed PPC base, I am not
worried about not having the latest versions of programs available
for me to use until I decide to upgrade my processor speed.

Dennis