image sizing (was "dump newbie image questiosn"(

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 07:27:00 EDT 2005

>For example, I gather that the Tab object does not work at ALL like in
>Windows, where each tab has different content.  I gather the Tab in Rev
>just gives the user a signal that a different card is desired, and
>provides the tab visual.  It is up to the user to put the varying
>content on every card (along with a series of redundant Tabs) and switch
>between cards manually (again, something that is not required in
>Delphi/Windows).  Many of you keep saying how easy Rev is to use, how
>powerful, how productive.  There are many counter examples, and Tabs
>seem to be one.
>
>:)
>
>Jon

[other stuff snipped]

Jon

In RR The tab object is just a special case of menu-style button, and has
no content in the sense you mean. There are 2 things you might investigate
to help you see how we use them.

1) backgroundbehaviour property of a group.
If you make a group on your first card, set its backgroundbehaviour to true
and then create a new card, the "backgrounded" group will appear on the new
card and all subsequently created cards. Subsequent changes to the group
affect it on all cards. Objects that are unique to a given card are added
where required separate from the group. You can also "place" such groups
into existing cards that do not already include them.

2) A tab button is frequently used as a sort of menu to navigate between
cards, but there is another common way to use it which is to hide and show
groups of controls in response to tab clicks. I do it this way myself as I
just have a personal preference for single-card stacks. Since the menupick
message, that is sent when you click on a tab button, comes with 2
parameters giving the name of the tab clicked and the name of the selected
tab prior to the click, I find this quite easy to manage.

Martin Baxter