get URL returning empty string

Dave Beck davethebrv at crystalpiersw.com
Sat Jun 4 14:03:46 EDT 2005

Thanks Chipp and Alex!

Taking your expert advise, I had the customer do a few tests try to
determine if "get URL" is returning an empty string because 1) a proxy
server or firewall issue, or 2) a problem accessing the web page that is
more general then from inside Rev.

However, it seems as though this problem is isolated to revolution since the
page loads correctly in a browser, and since the customer is connecting via
a dialup connection (56k modem, service by CoreComm), I don't think a proxy
server or firewall could be involved (?).

A curious phenomena is that just before the attempt to load the page with
"get URL", the script uploads a small file to the server with the "put URL"
command. That upload seems to be working without a problem. It is only the
proceeding "get URL" form that is failing.

Might it be possible that the non-blocking "load" command would work better?
Also, I don't know much about sockets, but from what I've read it seems that
using sockets instead of my current "upload request file / retrieve result
from php script" model is a more standard way to communicate with a server.
Do you have any thoughts you could share on switching to a socket model?

Thanks again. I am not familiar with these sorts of networking issues and it
is a true blessing to be able to benefit from your knowledge and experience.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Dave Beck