Externals blocking calls.

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 2 12:28:44 EDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 7:06 AM, N wrote:

> Is the a construct simular to wait with messages for calling
> externals? Meaning when I call a external function of functions and it
> is a "blocking call" is there any way the RR message pump can continue
> processing.

I've never done it, but you might be able to use one of the callbacks
to essentially wait for messages.  I don't know if that would do what
you want.

Or you can break up your problem into smaller pieces and make several
calls.

If the external is making a system blocking call that is waiting for
I/O then those two might not work.  There you need to do one of two
things.  You can find a nonblocking way to do what you want.  This is
usually doable in Windows.  Or you can create a thread to execute the
blocking call.  I sometimes do the latter, but I'm hesitant to
encourage others to do so, since it might require a learning curve and
there are subtle ways to go wrong.

Or you can put the blocking call in a command-line utility or find a
command-line utility that does what you want.  Then all you have to do
is figure out how to run that.

Dar