Getting the type code of a file under OSX

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jul 30 13:59:32 EDT 2005

Howard Bornstein wrote:

>Thanks for all the nice refinements to the basic algorithm. I
>originally used a script like the one Dave Cragg mentioned.
>
>But doesn't it strike everyone that this is cumbersome for such a
>simple request.

Yes.

>Perhaps I should enter a BZ enhancement for a function:
>
>getFileAttributes(filepath) that returns one detailed line á la long files.

"Ask for the sun, and be content when you are given the moon".

In that spirit, why not make the BZ request include providing a
"filepath" which can include file filters similar to those used in
"answer file" or more generally allowing file name "globbing", e.g.
   getFileAttributes("/usr/bin/*.exe")
   getFileAttributes("/Our Documents/Alex/archive*")