Crossword Generator

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 28 23:53:42 EDT 2005

Mark,

That's the part I cheated at. What I did was since the script was very
fast in generating I waited until it was done and then checked for
doubles, if there was a double then I just had it start over. I have
seen it start over once but most times with my random choices it works
on the first try.  If I were to finalize this game I would fix that
part.

I was in a hurry then because I had to create nine games in under a
week to coincide with my rebuild of the MM Director project in Rev. It
is a prototype of my designs for a UI with icons for pda's and phones.
I did create three text based trivia type games and four moving tiles
based games and the one crossicons game.

I would post the whole project if I could get permission. Right now the
company got the funding and we are waiting for the lawyers to finish.

I will post a link once I have the permission. It isn't complete but
does work enough to prototype and is very complicated.

P.S. To get a better random of a list I sort the lines by random the
number of lines and then filter what was left over into a temp variable
then do the next few randoms on the new list etc. But not too far
because the list gets smaller over time then I do a new random sort of
the num of lines over again.

Random is not very random and usually requires a random of the random
and then random again to make sure it is random enough.

Random,
Tom

On Jul 28, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Tom-
>
>> I made an iconic crossword generator that uses icons in sequences
>> instead letters in sequences (as words). The icon sequences
>> 'represent'
>> words and phrases. Is that close enough???
>>
>> I did a few error checking things to see if the last icon of line 1 is
>> the first icon of line 2 or if the second icon of down 5 is the last
>> icon in 6 across etc. I did cheat though because if there were not
>> enough words to create it then I just had the thing try a whole new
>> generation instead of rearranging the ones I had. Also, I then had to
>> error check to make sure the same sequence was not used twice etc.
>
> That sounds very interesting. Have you posted this somewhere? How are
> you
> ensuring the same sequence hasn't already been used?
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  mwieder at ahsoftware.net

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.9, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.6

Advanced Media Group
Eagle Works Art & Sculpture
Semantic Compaction Systems