Another Doc Thought

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:12:07 EDT 2005

(since I'm one who said something vaguely curmudgeonly about the UI)

No, it's not opaque, and the underlying concepts are _unusually_
clear. I think it behaves oddly. Focus, especially, seems to trip up
(dumb old) me all the time. I press a left arrow thinking I'm about
to nudge a widget, and suddenly cards are going by, because the focus
isn't on the widget even though its "selected" box is showing. That's
an example of the kind of absolutely microscopic problem which, for
someone just getting used to any environment, gets translated, or
magnified, into an impression of conceptual difficulty.

Another example: I put up an Inspector for my main stack, and lock it
so I can refer to the list of my custom properties while I inspect
other stuff. I select and Inspect and edit various other objects. At
some point (??) I discover that in the locked Inspector the name of
my main stack has been changed. (The title of the Inspector window
and also the Name property it shows.) Alarm! Is my main stack about
to get screwed up, saved under the wrong name, or what? I panic and
change the name and close the Inspector. Don't know what happened,
but I'm nervous about trying that again, and since I'm paying
attention to all the other stuff I'm trying to learn about the
language, the interface, my design, etc., this avoidance registers as
generalized UI dread. Again, this isn't (I think) a big deal -- it
only _looks_ like a big deal and translates into an impression of a
confusing interface, even though it's a detail and not a genuine
conceptual mystery.

Charles Hartman