[WARN] Inserting Any Plugin in the AltPluginToolbar

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 25 19:08:18 EDT 2005

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Ken-
> Monday, July 25, 2005, 2:52:06 PM, you wrote:
>
> KR> Sorry, Mark, but that is a weak argument, IMHO. It's not a private document
> KR> if anyone can access it (which anyone can). And BTW, the purpose of the
> KR> group is to help define the specification, which is necessary because it
> KR> isn't fully solidified. If you don't want to help solidify the spec, then I
> KR> guess you'll have to wait until it is made public.
>
> Well, no. There's no point in pushing the ECMI as a standard which
> developers should adopt as long as one has to join the working group
> in order to even view the draft. I'm fine with waiting until it's
> solidified before jumping in - that's why I'm deliberately *not*
> joining the yahoo group. I realize I can join the club at any time -
> that's not the issue. IMHO there's no point in evangelizing a
> "standard" that's not publicly available. Mind you, I think the ECMI
> is a good idea, things are just getting a bit cart-before-horsey here.

I think we may be lost in symantics.  Like the definition of "is" and
the definition of "covert", it seems we could benefit from clarifying
what's meant by "public":

The ECMI recommendation, as with the RIP discussion group itself, is
fully open to the public.

Anyone can joing the group, and as with any Yahoo Group joining does not
even require you to pollute your In Box; there's an option to not have
any emails sent to you when you join.  I'm subscribed to some 30 groups
  on Yahoo and recieve emails on only three of them.

So the RIP discussion archive and files are fully available to anyone
who wants them:

Since there are more than a dozen xTalk-related groups on Yahoo, for
most folks joining is as simple as clicking the "Join this Group" link.
  For example, if someone's already signed up on the Revolution_IPC
group like yourself, no additional registration is required.

But perhaps most importantly, it's worth noting that if the participants
in the RIP group do their job well, the ECMI recommendation will be
entirely invisible to most Rev users.  Once finalized and implemented,
tools will just start working together in a more integrated way than
before, with nothing needed from the Rev user at all.

So these interim drafts of ECMI are really only of interest to people
who publish tools for others; those who use these tools won't have
anything required of them to reap the benefits.

There's certainly no harm in joining and lurking, and everyone is
invited to do so if they choose.

As I'd already explained, if Yahoo gave us another option for file
access we wouldn't be having this discussion at all, and we'll be
correcting for their limitation at revJournal.com for the small subset
of people who might want to read the interim draft but haven't clicked
the "Join this Group" link.

But in the meantime there's nothing "private" about the group.  It's
open for anyone to join right now.

I hope this clarifies the good intentions of the people who participate
in the RIP group.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal