Deep-mask feature revisited and snapshots

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Jul 23 16:56:21 EDT 2005

When looking through one of my tutorial stacks using Rev 2.6.5 (BN 108)
I observed - when the windowshape property is used and the deep-mask
feature is set because of an transparent image -

a) a slowing down of script execution if surface properties of objects
are involved, like changing the color or label

b) that it is impossible to take a snapshot of or from part of a
deep-masked stack, neither within Rev or the Metacard IDE nor with an
external graphics program like "Paintshop Pro"

A. Slowing down

The time needed to change backgroundcolors of four buttons (width of
button = 234;height of button = 48) without deep mask is 4 milliseconds
on my main computer (Windows XP, 2 GHz).
I mention the size of the buttons because the larger the objects are the
more time is needed to "refresh" the objects in deep-mask mode.
Changing the labels of the four buttons takes only 1 milliseconds.

When deep mask is set the time needed increases to 190 milliseconds on
the average for both the backcolors and the labels, which results in an
awkward sequential and noticeable change. If "lock screen" is used
script execution is still about 20 times slower than without set deep mask.

B. Snapshots

One of the many differences between the Metacard and Rev IDE is that in
Rev all open stacks immediately disappear when you choose "Import as
Control" and "Snapshot". This is not that way in the Metacard IDE where
it is possible to take a snapshot of a stack window - or part of a stack
window - you intend to present on your website or attach to an email. Of
course you can script a snapshot of a stack, this possibility remains in
Rev.

But if you try to take a snapshot of a stack even in the MC IDE where
the stacks remain visible, if you select the whole or part of a visible
deep-mask stack, all you get is the screen background behind it.

Using an external tool like "Paintshop Pro" fails likewise, a deep-mask
stack seems to possess its own degree of visibility that eludes the
possibilities of taking snapshots, scripted or via menu commands or
using external tools.

The only way that remains for a deep-mask stack is to get out your
digital camera and take a real "screenshot" from the outside.--

I came across these problems, because a couple of weeks ago - while I
was sitting in the computer lab of Florida International University - I
had received a message from Richmond Mathewson (now in Bulgaria)
concerning multiple choice formats. After having come home recently and
after necessary re-organising and resettling after a longer stay abroad,
I finally managed to take a second look at my Multiple Choice Tutorial
(which is available for inspection on my website).
I will address the issue of multiple-choice formats in one of my next posts.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>