Why choose Revolution

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 23 16:42:04 EDT 2005

J. Valle 1234web.net wrote:
> We do mostly Internet business applications, think on CRM and intensive
> database apps to got the idea. Normally are applications in the range of
> 30-50 tables, some of them storing a few millions records and accessed
> for 10s of users at the same time. Normally 2-3 developers works on this
> kind of applications for less than 6 months, it could give you a picture
> about the complexity, is not rocket science but is not a personal
> notebook. We will develop mainly over Windows platform but products
> should be available in Windows, Mac OSX, Red Hat and Debian flavours,
> those are the most common OSs used by our customers.

In such an environment it seems the UI tool is perhaps less significant
than the underlying DB engine.  Rev provides interfaces for MySQL,
Oracle, and others, so you can pick the one that's most appropriate for
you easily.

> These are important things for us (if anybody can't point me to the
> right url or readings to continue researching will help me to decide):
>
> -As Dan wrote somewhere OOP and Revolution are closer but are not the
> same. Some way to group code in classes/libraries and organize in
> multiple layers is a must for this kind of applications. Then if you
> can't use classes how could you organize the code to be reused and easy
> to maintain and extend under the Revolution paradigm?

This may help:

Extending the Runtime Revolution Message Path
An introduction to using Libraries, FrontScripts, and BackScripts
in Runtime Revolution's Transcript Programming Language
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/revolution_message_path.html>

FWIW, about 80% of most applications I write these days start from
libraries of resusable components.

> - Localization, very often applications works in 2 or 3 different
> languages, need some way to store all needed strings in a common file or
> resource.

See Rev's Profile Manager as one way to handle localization.

> - Interface customization, often applications also have to be adapted in
> some way to the customer image and look, it means change colors and some
> properties on a global way, think on a CSS style sheet, sometimes are
> minor cosmetic changes others are very important changes.

Rev can create and modify any object in its obejct model dynamically on
the fly, and with impressive speed.

You may also want to take a moment to play with Rev's inheritance for
visual properties (text attributes, colors, etc.) to see how you can set
these values at the stack level and have them applied to all objects
within it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal