Why choose Revolution

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 23 13:38:12 EDT 2005

Jose

I've never used Real BASIC.  But, I cut my teeth on Applesoft BASIC
years ago, so I'm a BASIC fan from way back.

That being said, the advantage I see to Rev is the fact that I can
create an app on my Mac and port it to Windows at the very last
minute (literally a few hours worth of work at most for a full app
consisting of hundreds of cards, mainly checking every screen to make
sure the fonts look OK).

Frankly, I find Transcript and BASIC to have a lot in common...exact
commands may vary slightly but I rarely have trouble figuring out
which command I need by referring to the Transcript Dictionary that
comes with the full set of manuals.

The only disadvantage I've seen is that the interface is not all that
well documented, so it takes a little while to get used to--
particularly if you've never used HyperCard (I had).  But that is a
one-time only learning curve.

Rev is a real boon to Mac people who want to do seamless cross-
platform development!

I use the full Enterprise version, so I can't help you with the
differences between it and other, less expensive versions.

Marian