NPR puzzle

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Wed Jul 20 19:13:16 EDT 2005

>Message: 12
>Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:09:56 -0700
>From: Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net>
>Subject: Re: NPR puzzle
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>This also answers the puzzle:
>
>List all the 10-letter words you can make using the two-letter symbols
>for the chemical elements.
>
>And even though "alliterate" is among the answers, there are no
>two-letter symbols that use the same letter twice.

Mark,

The *successive* pairs for "alliterate " are al-li-te-ra-te.

>I think your list of 10-letter words is somewhat incomplete, even if
>it does contain the correct answer. For example, it contains
>"zoological" but not "zoologists".

Right. I need a new dictionary. I have a problem with dictionaries.
My larger (160,000 word) dictionary has plurasl but it also has a
great many bizarre words. A search for words compatible with

a***h

where * is a wildcard, yields

abash
airth
aitch
aleph
Allah
almah
almeh
apish
awash
azoth

My smaller dictionary yields a more reasonable list:

abash
aitch
Allah
apish
awash

but this dictionary has no plurals.  What I need is a dictionary
which has only the words I want. :)

Jim