debugger anomaly updated

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jul 13 17:42:17 EDT 2005

Timothy Miller wrote:

> The debugger anomaly in my stacks has been discussed on the list over
> the past few days. In brief, the debugger will debug a stack script,
> but not a background script. In a bg script, the script window does
> open, but the script window remains behind the others and the script
> does not pause.
>
> I can force a pause and bring the script window to the front by
> deliberately placing an error in the bg script. When the script pauses
> and the error window opens, I click on the "debug" button on the error
> window. When the script window opens, the debug buttons in the script
> window are absent, and the debug menu items are dimmed out. As far as
> I can tell, the script won't resume. All I can to is remove the bad
> line and save.
>
> When scripts are moved from the bg script to the stack script, the
> debugger works normally.
>
> Further testing reveals -- tentatively -- that this anomaly only
> appears in my stacks whose original ancestors were created in an early
> version of hyperCard, possibly 1.0. Unfortunately, I have about five
> of them, fairly large, complex, and very important.
>
> My stacks that were originally created in recent versions of
> hyperCard, or Rev, do not have this anomaly.

Would it be at all possible to write a stack that would "export" another
stack to some textual format, and then another which would "import" it
again (i.e. into a new clean stack)?

I know the general problem is hard - but I also know that my own stacks
tend to follow certain patterns (combination of me getting in a rut, and
the fact that I only know about 10% of what Rev can do), so it *might*
be feasible to write such a tool that would work for my stacks.

You probably wouldn't want to write a *product* to do that - but you
might be able to write *tool* to do it.