maximizing the stack/card

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 13 13:03:28 EDT 2005

Jon wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Thanks.  On my windows system, the task bar is on the left, not on the
> bottom; and it auto-hides, rather than always being visible.  So, the
> correct behavior on my system would be for all applications to expand to
> fill the screen.  On other computers, this might NOT be the correct
> behavior.  Simply setting the windowsBoundingRect to the screenRect
> would be correct on my computer, but might screw someone else up.
>
> This defect seems to me to be a minor bug in Rev.  Do you agree?

It would be if the windowBoundingRect were fixed to one size for all
machines.  But it's not:  it's calculated dynamically when the app
starts, based on system calls which tells it the location and size of
these elements.

It does a reliable job of accounting for the OS X Dock in all positions
and sizes I've tested, and seems to do well with the Task Bar on Windows
in all sizes I've tested on.  I haven't tested with a placement on the
sides, but since it's using system calls for this I'd be surprised if it
didn't also do that one well; if not then yes, that would be a bug.

The engine initializes the windowBoundingRect to be the full size of the
main display less these trimmings.  The Rev IDE changes it to also
account for its toolbar, which your app can do also if it needs to
support a toolbar.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal