different UI approach

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Jul 11 02:27:20 EDT 2005

Hi Dan,

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:23:49 -0700
> From: Dan Shafer <revdan at danshafer.com>
> Subject: Re: different UI approach
>
> I don't see any real new thinking here, Mark. Maybe I'm missing
> something. And I don't see ANY value in either being able to navigate
> (sometimes unintentionally) by mouse moves OR in avoiding the simple
> action of clicking a mouse.
>
> Maybe for those with specific disabilities?

FWIW, I work with enableware quite often. As you suggest, sometimes
gesturing and /or hovering with a timer is an advantage, sometimes a
timer/click is an advantage (a'la Stephen Hawking Jr.). I won't go into
details right now, but there is little intuitve advantage to normal
users beyond specialized controls. Touch screens are mucho mas
intuitive.

These methods are as old as video games, IOW, there is nothing new
going on (mouseEnter, mouseWithin, mouseWithin with mouseLoc
following).

Now, if you can get Rev (or any other software) to read my mind from
across the room, and accurately anticipate and interpret mental
commands..........   ;-)

Not all that unusual an idea, but still pretty much science fiction
AFAICS.

All the best,
Ken N.