documentation mini-bug

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jul 9 20:33:42 EDT 2005

Mark Wieder wrote:

>Alex-
>
>Saturday, July 9, 2005, 11:15:03 AM, you wrote:
>
>AT> and everything else is just overhead.  I've taken to "reporting" these
>AT> via Web Notes, on the assumption that anything reported in there will be
>AT> rolled into the next release of the docs.
>
>Unless I'm missing something, if you post something in Web Notes it
>overwrites anything anyone else may have posted there.

That's right - so it's up to whoever is adding something to copy/paste
whats already there ....

>That's strike one. Strike two is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to
>search Web Notes, so using it to report bugs is fairly ineffectual.
>You have to know that there's a Web Note bug report waiting and then
>go to the appropriate entry and then view the Web Note.

Don't agree with that - if I look at the doc entry for a command, and
there's a web note there, then I see it. And if I didn't look at that
entry, then I didn't care about the web note :-)

> I'm not at all sure that anyone at runrev pays attention to the Web Notes, at least
>in terms of using them for reporting missing items and such,

I would hope, and expect, that if I were revising the doc for an entry,
and there was a web note, I'd look at it and incorporate it. And I'd
expect that if I were given the task of updating all the docs (or some
section of them), one of the places I'd look for input (not necessarily
bugs, just things that might want to be improved or that people are
having trouble with) would be web notes.

> and that may be strike three - it certainly never occurred to me to use Web
>Notes for this purpose. I know what you mean about the overhead,
>though.

If I found a serious problem in the docs (e.g. something wrong, or
dangerously misleading), I'd likely BZ it (esp. now that I've been
reminded how much easier it look to RZ it). But for minor issues (links
missing, spelling mistakes, bad grammar, etc.) I'll use web notes and
hope .... unless someone from RR tells me that won't work.