Setting fonts

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Jul 5 23:07:22 EDT 2005

This is a pretty newbie question; what I'm looking for is the right
general direction to take.

This Dreamcard stack will need to run under the Player on both Mac
(where I'm writing it) and Windows. The app centers on many cards
that are full of information, usually in a scrolling text field. Most
of the text in the field uses whatever I set as the font for the main
stack (obviously) -- Palatino on Mac, probably Times New Roman on
Windows. Certain lines within the text on many cards need to be in a
monospaced font (Courier on Mac, Courier New on Windows).

So two linked questions: What's the best way to set the overall font
in a script for the main stack (in an "if the platform is" structure
presumably)? I notice that if I just set the font for the main stack
(for example, from the message box), it changes on all the cards as
expected, though of course not in the lines specified with a
particular font (Courier) -- but ALSO not AFTER that text that's
marked off for Courier. So that "if the platform is" doesn't seem to
be be thorough enough. And then, how do I set the font for the
monospaced lines on all cards?

I suppose the stupid brute-force method would be (on opening the main
stack) to loop through all lines in the text in all relevant fields
in all cards in all substacks. Slow & absurd. Should I be looking at
property sets instead? (That *sounds* right, but I don't really
understand it yet.) Will this get around the inconsistency in the
"main" (stack's default) font that I mentioned? And since the
monospaced lines aren't a separate object from the text around them,
can they have a property (which can belong to a property set)?

(Putting the monospaced lines into separate objects would be quite a
mess, especially since they're embedded in scrolling fields, all of
which I would then have to turn into scrolling groups instead, on
dozens and dozens of cards.)

Any guidance welcome.

Charles Hartman
Professor of English, Poet in Residence