Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 1 10:00:30 EDT 2005

Bob,

I have been using Rev for 1 year now and although I have my frustrating
moments with bugs, as do others, I am confident in Rev's pursuit of
fixing the bugs that bother us all. They are releasing fixes in a much
faster time frame and plan on continuing to do so.

I believe they are focusing on a couple of key areas and the editor is
one of those. So your number 1. issue should be noticed soon enough.

As far as numbers 2. and 3.  I think that the formating will stay the
way it works now. But with fixes to the problem areas. I agree that
turning it off should do just that. A simple request. I would easily
vote for this bug fix/UI enhancement.

Number 4. (not numbered) is the one I think that should be done sooner
rather than later. It would let a newbie know that this is possible and
maybe take a lot of the frustration out of dealing with the editor in
the first place. I think the reason this thread got out of hand is not
your post but rather that it opened a door to venting frustrations
about all kinds of things and those frustrations are what started to
get out of hand (IMO). Every one here seems to agree that we want to go
forward and never end up where VB did and I fear where Director is
going. I would vote for this enhancement request.

Yours,

Tom

On Jul 1, 2005, at 5:20 AM, Bob Warren wrote:

> 1. Existing bugs should be removed. The very fact that a newcomer
> cannot
> easily see the difference between a feature and a bug shows that there
> is
> something wrong somewhere. Bugs confuse everybody and everything.
>
> As Mark suggested in his e-mail to us all by suggesting that "it is not
> unreasonable to give users the choice":
>
> 2. Leave the existing auto-formatting facilities entirely alone.
> BUT
> 3. When the auto-formatting is turned off, it means what it says. This
> means
> that changes to existing text can be made in the manner of a normal
> text
> editor. TAB creates a single indentation in a single line.
>
> In addition, perhaps the switch for turning auto-formatting on and off
> could
> be put in a more convenient place Also, descriptions of
> auto-formatting and
> the (non-standard) use of the TAB key could be more prominently
> displayed in
> the Help.

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.9, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.6

Advanced Media Group
Eagle Works Art & Sculpture
Semantic Compaction Systems