Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Fri Jul 1 08:43:38 EDT 2005

Jim, Bob,

I agree with you. However remember that you can use anything to edit the
script...

put the script of the selobj into fld 1 of stack "myeditor"
and
set the script of the selobj to fld 1 of stack "Myeditor"

Note that the plugin architecture of RunRev permits to trap the
RevEditScript handler so you can insert your own plugin in there.

so if your stack is a plug in and has the corresponding RevEditScript
message handler in its' stack script

on RevEditScript
  put the script of the selobj into fld 1 of stack "myeditor"
end RevEditScript

then, you're near home free ;-) except for all the good features i'll be
releasing soon ;)

The debugging however doesn't require tabs so using Rev's SE to do this
shouldn't be too shocking ;)

As far as i know there isn't a plugin hook to debug. And the RevEditScript
has to be tested still (last i did, all i managed was to crash Rev but
this is apparently fixed).

As a PC user, the Rev Script Editor has come a long way to something
that's more than quite useable and simple to use.

Im sure you'll get used to it (as Mark said) before you know it or get
used to your own way ;)

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com

On 01/07/2005 14:27:26 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>Bob,
>
>A very reasonable post. As a PC programmer, the Tab key was news to me
also.
>In the interest of "discussion" here's another idea:
>
>Over the years, I have found that editors (and word processors) are like
>religions. Everyone likes the one they are used to and are willing to go
>war over it.
>
>Maybe the answer is, and I don't even know if this is possible in the Rev
>paradigm, is to give users a choice by allowing them to use 3rd party
>editors. The problem (and fear) here usually is that the debugging
>facilities of the IDE won't integrate with a 3rd party editor.
>
>So, maybe instead of trying to make The Editor a one size fits all (which
>will never happen), publish a standard against which 3rd party
programmers
>can write alternate editors, which the debugger, and other elements of
the
>IDE will use in the same fashion that it uses The Editor.
>
>There could be a list of approved editors and a place in Preferences to
pick
>the one you are using. In the long run, I believe, this would be less
>programming for the Rev folks and more opportunity for the independent
>developer.
>
>Jim

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER