Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Jim Bufalini yoursignup at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 08:27:26 EDT 2005

Bob,

A very reasonable post. As a PC programmer, the Tab key was news to me also.
In the interest of "discussion" here's another idea:

Over the years, I have found that editors (and word processors) are like
religions. Everyone likes the one they are used to and are willing to go to
war over it.

Maybe the answer is, and I don't even know if this is possible in the Rev
paradigm, is to give users a choice by allowing them to use 3rd party
editors. The problem (and fear) here usually is that the debugging
facilities of the IDE won't integrate with a 3rd party editor.

So, maybe instead of trying to make The Editor a one size fits all (which
will never happen), publish a standard against which 3rd party programmers
can write alternate editors, which the debugger, and other elements of the
IDE will use in the same fashion that it uses The Editor.

There could be a list of approved editors and a place in Preferences to pick
the one you are using. In the long run, I believe, this would be less
programming for the Rev folks and more opportunity for the independent
developer.

Jim