use-revolution Digest, Vol 16, Issue 103

R. Hillen mail at richard-hillen.de
Mon Jan 31 12:40:22 EST 2005


Hello Frank,

I would guess that you are using OSX 10.3.7; right?
That could explain your DNS-Problem, as Apple has changed its 
DNS-calls. So If I start Apple Mail, I have to wait 50 seconds.
Apple told, that it is a bug, so wait for 10.3.8 or return to 10.3.6.

Hope it explains.
Richard.



> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:11:49 +0000
> From: Frank Leahy <frank at backtalk.com>
> Subject: Re: Socket timeout not working with libUrl
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Message-ID: <8542839B-7370-11D9-9604-000A9580FCCE at backtalk.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>
> Sarah,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> After a lot of testing on Mac OS X, I've found that the problem I was
> having appears to be due to the way that Mac OS X does DNS lookups.
> Whether or not it's a RunRev bug as well is hard to tell, but I think
> it might be.
>
> Here's some sample code I wrote.  This code sends a "My5SecondTimeout"
> message to itself, opens a socket, makes an HTTP GET request, waits for
> the response, and closes the socket.  (Note: I had to use this
> "My5SecondTimeout" message because setting the socketTimeoutInterval
> doesn't seem to work).
>
> When you run this script and you're not connected to the internet
> here's what happens:
>
>     1) If I open the socket with an ip address, e.g. 64.125.128.80, my 
> 5
> second timer will fire, and I can close the socket and exit from the
> routine.
>
>     2) If I open the socket with a domain address, e.g.
> www.webphotospro.com, Mac OS X does a DNS lookup, puts up the rainbow
> rotating color cursor, and hangs until the DNS lookup fails.  On my
> machine this takes 60 seconds (apparently it's dependent on how many
> dns servers you have listed).
>
> I'm guessing this is a RunRev bug, but I can't be sure.  Basically
> RunRev hangs for 60 seconds while the DNS lookup takes place during the
> "open socket" call -- it doesn't send a socket timeout, and it doesn't
> the "My5SecondTimeout" message either.
>
> Can confirm this?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Frank
>
> on mouseUp
>    set the socketTimeoutInterval to 5000 -- this seems to do nothing,
> but set it anyway
>    global theIp, socketIsOpen, socketTimedOut
>    put "www.webphotospro.com:80" into theIp -- using this causes RunRev
> to hang for 60 seconds
>    -- put "64.125.128.80:80" into theIp -- using this does not cause a
> hang
>    put false into socketIsOpen
>    put false into socketTimedOut
>
>    send "My5SecondTimeout" to button "Ping" in 5 seconds -- send a
> message to myself
>    close socket theIp -- in case it's currently open
>    open socket to theIp with message "mySocketOpenMsg"
>    wait until socketIsOpen or socketTimedOut with messages
>    if socketTimedOut then
>      close socket theIp
>      answer "socket timed out"
>    end if
> end mouseUp
>
> on My5SecondTimeout
>    global socketIsOpen, socketTimedOut
>    if not socketIsOpen then
>      put true into socketTimedOut
>    end if
> end My5SecondTimeout
>
> on mySocketOpenMsg theParams
>    global theIp, socketIsOpen
>    put true into socketIsOpen
>    write "GET / HTTP/1.0" & numToChar(13) & numToChar(10) &
> numToChar(13) & numToChar(10) to socket theIp
>    read from socket theIp for 50 with message "mySocketReadDoneMsg"
> end mySocketOpenMsg
>
> on mySocketReadDoneMsg socketId, theData
>    global theIp
>    close socket theIp
>    answer "read done: " & socketId && theData
> end mySocketReadDoneMsg
>
> Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
> See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/
>
> On Jan 31, 2005, at 1:16 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
> wrote:
>
>> From: Sarah Reichelt <sarahr at genesearch.com.au>
>> Subject: Re: Socket timeout not working with libUrl
>> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>> Message-ID: <3A70EDD2-7316-11D9-819B-0003937A97B8 at genesearch.com.au>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>>
>>> My product pings the Web Photos Pro website to look for new versions.
>>> This works great when the computer the product's running on is
>>> connected to the internet, but it hangs for 60 seconds when there's 
>>> no
>>> net connection.
>>>
>>> My code looks like this:
>>>
>>>   set the socketTimeoutInterval to 5000
>>>   put URL (getPhotoAlbumUrl() & "downloads/version_info.php") into
>>> newVersion
>>>
>>> Is there any way I can force a timeout after 5 seconds?  Should I be
>>> using a non-blocking URL request?  Should I be attempting to open a
>>> socket directly to do an initial "am I connected to the internet?"
>>> request, before making the URL request?
>>>
>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> I would definitely use a non-blocking request, so the user won't even
>> notice if it is trying & failing.
>> Try something like:
>>    set the socketTimeoutInterval to 5000
>>    put (getPhotoAlbumUrl() & "downloads/version_info.php") into tURL
>>    load tURL with message gotVersion
>>
>> Then you need a "gotVersion" handler in the same object:
>>
>> on gotVersion
>>    put URL (getPhotoAlbumUrl() & "downloads/version_info.php") into
>> newVersion
>>    -- check newVersion & do the usual stuff
>> end gotVersion
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Sarah
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:23:18 +0000
> From: John Dixon <j.dixon7 at btinternet.com>
> Subject: Standalone Application Icon
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <BE23B796.13631%j.dixon7 at btinternet.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
> I'm stuck... Could someone please outline step by step how to attach 
> an icon
> to use when you create a standalone application...
>
> Regards,
>
> John Dixon
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:42:19 -0500
> From: Richard Miller <wow at together.net>
> Subject: Re: Export snapshot alternatives
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <C8680B3D-7374-11D9-889C-003065B0423A at together.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>
> My understanding is the revVideoFrameImage command only works while the
> movie is being captured. One can't use it after the fact. We need to
> select out and save a portion of the quicktime file sometime after the
> capture has taken place.
>
> Richard
>
>
> On Jan 31, 2005, at 12:49 AM, sims wrote:
>
>>> Richard Miller wrote:
>>>> Tried lock screen and lock messages. Didn't seem to help much. The
>>>> slowness seems to be with the export snapshot command. I'd like to
>>>> think there are other externals out there that are faster and can
>>>> replace this one.  That would be one solution.
>>>>
>>>> A better solution would be to find a way to take a 10 second
>>>> quicktime file and extract a 2 second section of it. Any idea how to
>>>> do that?
>>
>> Have you looked at:    revVideoFrameImage
>> frameWidth,frameHeight,dataVariable
>> This puts the current frame in the video grabber into a variable.
>>
>> Wouldn't this (putting into variables) be faster than snapshots?
>>
>> hth
>> sims
>>
>>
>> European Revolution Conference 2006
>> Be there or be a trapezoid!
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-revolution mailing list
>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 13
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:41:38 +0000
> From: Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net>
> Subject: Re: Socket timeout not working with libUrl
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <41FE0B62.8070903 at tweedly.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Frank Leahy wrote:
>
>> After a lot of testing on Mac OS X, I've found that the problem I was
>> having appears to be due to the way that Mac OS X does DNS lookups.
>> Whether or not it's a RunRev bug as well is hard to tell, but I think
>> it might be.
>>
>> Here's some sample code I wrote.  This code sends a "My5SecondTimeout"
>> message to itself, opens a socket, makes an HTTP GET request, waits
>> for the response, and closes the socket.  (Note: I had to use this
>> "My5SecondTimeout" message because setting the socketTimeoutInterval
>> doesn't seem to work).
>>
>> When you run this script and you're not connected to the internet
>> here's what happens:
>>
>>    1) If I open the socket with an ip address, e.g. 64.125.128.80, my
>> 5 second timer will fire, and I can close the socket and exit from the
>> routine.
>>
>>    2) If I open the socket with a domain address, e.g.
>> www.webphotospro.com, Mac OS X does a DNS lookup, puts up the rainbow
>> rotating color cursor, and hangs until the DNS lookup fails.  On my
>> machine this takes 60 seconds (apparently it's dependent on how many
>> dns servers you have listed).
>>
>> I'm guessing this is a RunRev bug, but I can't be sure.  Basically
>> RunRev hangs for 60 seconds while the DNS lookup takes place during
>> the "open socket" call -- it doesn't send a socket timeout, and it
>> doesn't the "My5SecondTimeout" message either.
>>
>> Can confirm this?
>
> Yes.
>
> you may have missed the email I sent earlier in this thread, re bug 
> 2117
> Engine blocks on DNS query
>
> Take a look at that bug report for more details. You can check for
> dnsservers - which will prevent the problem occurring in most cases, 
> but
> there are still some cases where it will fail.
>
> -- Alex.
>
>
>
> -- 
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
> Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.6 - Release Date: 27/01/2005
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 14
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:55:27 +0100
> From: sims <sims at ezpzapps.com>
> Subject: Re: Export snapshot alternatives
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <p06110416be23be5589a7@[10.0.0.2]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"
>
>> My understanding is the revVideoFrameImage command only works while
>> the movie is being captured. One can't use it after the fact. We
>> need to select out and save a portion of the quicktime file sometime
>> after the capture has taken place.
>
> Ah...sorry.
> That is quite easily done with QuickTime Pro, simply select the part 
> of a movie
> you want to use, copy, and paste into a new movie. Maybe some combo of 
> Rev
> and applescript might help you. Good luck.
>
> sims
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 15
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:56:02 -0500
> From: Richard Miller <wow at together.net>
> Subject: Re: Export snapshot alternatives
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <B28405E5-7376-11D9-889C-003065B0423A at together.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>
> Brian,
>
> This might work. I'll need to test it more, but initially, it seems to
> be very fast. Thanks.
>
> Richard
>
>
>
> On Jan 30, 2005, at 10:18 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> Have you tried using the pixMapID property? You may want to check the
>> archives for the limitations of this (IIRC it may crash if you try to
>> reference a stack which is not in memory), but...
>>
>> set the imagePixMapID of image "snapshot" to the pixMapID of stack
>> "someStack"
>>
>> Then you could export the image?
>>
>> Dunno for sure, but it may be quicker!
>>
>> HTH,
>> - Brian
>>
>>> Sarah,
>>>
>>> Tried lock screen and lock messages. Didn't seem to help much. The
>>> slowness seems to be with the export snapshot command. I'd like to
>>> think there are other externals out there that are faster and can
>>> replace this one.  That would be one solution.
>>>
>>> A better solution would be to find a way to take a 10 second
>>> quicktime file and extract a 2 second section of it. Any idea how to
>>> do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Richard
>>>
>>>
>>> On Jan 30, 2005, at 6:36 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>>>
>>>> This seems very slow, can you try lock screen & lock messages to see
>>>> if that speeds things up.
>>>> Sarah
>>>>
>>>> On 30 Jan 2005, at 10:30 am, Richard Miller wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I'd appreciate any suggestions for alternatives to the Export
>>>>> Snapshot command. We're finding it rather slow for our purposes,
>>>>> taking 2-3 seconds per snapshot. We have a specific routine that
>>>>> needs to generate 50 separate images, essentially breaking down 2
>>>>> seconds of video into 50 frames. Any alternatives?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks.
>>>>> Richard Miller
>>>>> Imprinter Technologies
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> use-revolution mailing list
>>>>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>>>>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> use-revolution mailing list
>>>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>>>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> use-revolution mailing list
>>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-revolution mailing list
>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 16
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:06:29 -0600
> From: "Derek Bump" <webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com>
> Subject: Re: Standalone Application Icon
> To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <002201c50784$eab70e70$6401a8c0 at DEREK>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> John,
>
> It's quite easy.
>
> 1.  Click the File menu and choose "Standalone Application Settings..."
> 2.  Click on either the "OS X" or "Windows" buttons at the top of the 
> window (Depending on what platform you are using).
> 3.  Click the "Choose..." button to choose your icon.
> 4.  Close the "Standalone Application Settings..." window
> 5.  Save your stack.
>
> That's pretty much it.  When your ready to build the application, 
> click the File menu and choosing "Save As Standalone Application...".
>
>
> Derek Bump
> Dreamscape Software
> ____________________________________________
> Compress Images Easily with JPEGCompress
> http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Dixon" <j.dixon7 at btinternet.com>
> To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 4:23 AM
> Subject: Standalone Application Icon
>
>
>> I'm stuck... Could someone please outline step by step how to attach 
>> an icon
>> to use when you create a standalone application...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John Dixon
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-revolution mailing list
>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 17
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:20:21 +0000
> From: John Dixon <j.dixon7 at btinternet.com>
> Subject: Re: Standalone Application Icon
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <BE23C4F5.13641%j.dixon7 at btinternet.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
> On 31/1/05 11:06 am, "Derek Bump" <webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com> 
> wrote:
>
>> 1.  Click the File menu and choose "Standalone Application 
>> Settings..."
>> 2.  Click on either the "OS X" or "Windows" buttons at the top of the 
>> window
>> (Depending on what platform you are using).
>> 3.  Click the "Choose..." button to choose your icon.
>> 4.  Close the "Standalone Application Settings..." window
>> 5.  Save your stack.
>>
>> That's pretty much it.  When your ready to build the application, 
>> click the
>> File menu and choosing "Save As Standalone Application...".
>
>
> I have followed this routine... But it does not seem to work... It just
> shows the generic Mac OS X application icon... I have used an icns 
> file...
> Is this the correct one ?
>
> Regards
>
> John Dixon
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 18
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:24:01 -0600
> From: "Derek Bump" <webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com>
> Subject: Re: Standalone Application Icon
> To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <001601c50787$5dbeec60$6401a8c0 at DEREK>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> John,
>
> Well, I'm at a loss.  I havn't used MacOS X for over 2 years now.  
> From what your describing, it sounds like your using the wrong type of 
> Icon file.  I could be very wrong, but I would verify that it is the 
> correct type.
>
>
> Derek Bump
> Dreamscape Software
> ____________________________________________
> Compress Images Easily with JPEGCompress
> http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 19
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:59:35 -0600
> From: Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com>
> Subject: Re: Export snapshot alternatives
> To: Use Revolution List <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <BE2395E7.10426%kray at sonsothunder.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="US-ASCII"
>
> On 1/30/05 8:27 PM, "Richard Miller" <wow at together.net> wrote:
>
>> Sarah,
>>
>> Tried lock screen and lock messages. Didn't seem to help much. The
>> slowness seems to be with the export snapshot command. I'd like to
>> think there are other externals out there that are faster and can
>> replace this one.  That would be one solution.
>>
>> A better solution would be to find a way to take a 10 second quicktime
>> file and extract a 2 second section of it. Any idea how to do that?
>
> Sure... use Trevor Devore's EnhancedQT external:
>
>     http://www.mangomultimedia.com/developer/revolution/enhancedqt.html
>
> Have fun!
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 20
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:45:17 -0500
> From: "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
> Subject: Re: Detecting word location of a user in a field.
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Message-ID: <2e54b741444e7777b2c0a3d4f7f3d081 at fjrhome.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> I believe there is a way to do it using selectedChunk,  but not
> entirely sure of the semantics right now.  If the text is relatively
> static between tests, I suppose you could select word 5, read in the
> selectedChunk to establish a character range, then select empty and
> test the selectedChunk for overlap with the version you previously
> stored when the tab key is pressed.  Something like that, anyway.
>
> On Jan 29, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Glen Bojsza wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if it possible to detect when a user is in a
>> particular word location in a field.
>>
>> I am trying to test for when a user uses a tab key but only when in
>> the word 5 location of a field.
>>
>> thanks.
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-revolution mailing list
>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>>
> - -----------------------------------------------------------
> Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
>
> $ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
> $ true | cat /usr/manual | grep "John 3:16"
> John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten
> Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have
> everlasting life.
> $
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
>
> iD8DBQFB/kR+7aqtWrR9cZoRAjVSAJ0U07x26adUAWe3JxMoA9KhGxsFLQCfRMRj
> kSSBvOIYgQx0OqGXKM9nobc=
> =p0Yx
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
>
> ___________________________________________________________
> $0 Web Hosting with up to 120MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
> 10 Personalized POP and Web E-mail Accounts, and much more.
> Signup at www.doteasy.com
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
> End of use-revolution Digest, Vol 16, Issue 103
> ***********************************************
>



More information about the Use-livecode mailing list