Dreamcard under simple user

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jan 30 13:37:20 EST 2005

On 1/30/05 11:49 AM, Scott Slaugh wrote:

>   Here's a question for all of you Mac OS X users out there.  I am
> trying to get a lab set up to teach Revolution in.  We are going to be
> using Dreamcard under OS X 10.3.  Because of district policy, we have
> to run under a limited user.  We have not yet bought the licenses, so
> I figured we could use the trial version for a few classes.  I got a
> trial license key, and installed Revolution on the computers while
> running as an administrator and entered the license key.  We then set
> up the user accounts so that they would be able to start Revolution
> and logged in as the limited user.  However, every time we tried,
> Revolution did not show up in the list of available programs.  The IT
> guy there told me that we could not run trial versions of software
> under limited users.
>   Now, that is not a problem if Dreamcard will start up fine when we
> get the actual license keys.  However, I want to be sure that it will
> work before I go out there again and spend several hours trying to get
> it to work.  Is there anyone out there that has gotten Revolution to
> run successfully under a limited user in OS 10.3?
>   Now, when I say limited user, I mean the really limited user.  I am
> not sure if this is the correct name for the user type, but when they
> log in, all they have on the dock are a few folders.  Bringing up the
> applications folder only allows them to run the programs allowed by
> the administrator.
>   Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure why DC isn't showing up in the list of allowed apps. I do
know that you need to assign both read and write priveleges to the
DreamCard folder for all users who will access it. You can sometimes do
this from the Finder's "Get Info" box; if that doesn't work, you'll need
to use Terminal. Let us know if you need help with that.

By the way, I don't think your IT guy is right about the trial software.
The DreamCard trial is fully functional, and except for the 30-day
limitation there is no difference between it and the purchased version.
The OS won't know the difference.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com