Simple tutorial on linktext and clicking list text

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Jan 26 17:30:50 EST 2005

Hi Steve,

Nicholas supplied you with the info for using clickChunks, but here is
some additional stuff on using linktext.
- enter your text in a field
- select a chunk that you want to make into a link
- go to the Text menu and set it's style to "Link"
- if you are using the default settings, the text will go blue &
underlined, like the link on a web page.
- when you have finished setting all the links you want, lock the text
of the field
- edit the script of field to include a linkClicked handler e.g.

on linkClicked pLink
   -- pLink contains the complete text of the clicked link
   if pLink contains "@" then
	revMail pLink
   else if pLink contains "http" then
	revGoUrl pLink
   else
	-- do something else
   end if
end linkClicked

As a further refinement, you can make the linkText of a selected chunk
into something other than it's text.
Suppose you wanted a link to Google. In your field, type the single
word "Google" and set it's style to Link
In the MessageBox, type: set the linkText of word 1 of fld "MyField" to
"http://www.google.com"
and press Enter.
When the field is locked and you click on Google, the parameter passed
to the linkClicked handler will actually be "http://www.google.com"

Cheers,
Sarah