Printing Hell

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jan 26 16:25:54 EST 2005

On Jan 25, 2005, at 3:01 PM, SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:

> Kevin wrote:
> "It is perfectly possible to print anything you may want to, including
> complex reports."
>
> Where do we find the recipe for multi-page reports based on a source
> stack
> with scrolling fields? Headers? Footers?

Jacque mentioned revPrintText as example.

However, report printing can be richer than that.

I have wandered over to the following style.  I use a stack library to
print out a particular kind of report (such as a form letter, automated
newsletter, ledger sheet, exam, badge, etc.).  On the cards of that
library, I put smart report components with notes on how to maintain
them.  The exact representation and sometimes position of the component
is controlled by custom properties.  An example might be a footer.  The
stack library uses a substack for report layout with page-size cards.
The substack asks the library for components, creates instances and
specializes them.  Often only a single page (card) is used in the
layout stack, sometimes repeatedly for the same report.  The substack
or pages have custom properties that control the layout.  Some are
design-time and are normally only changed in the IDE.  The rest are
layered by abstractness.  The layout is driven by the more abstract
stack properties and a few page properties.  I make heavy use of
setprop.  To keep from repeatedly redoing the layout each time I change
a property with the stack library, I use a recursive lock property.  If
I change a property with the IDE (with no locking), part or all of the
layout is redone immediately--this helps me in layout changes.  This
all creates a dataflow or descriptive layout.  I can change the number
of columns for something or change some margins and poof! I can see the
change.  There is little difference in design-time properties (eg page
margins) and run-time properties (eg title).  I often use printer-res
images and resize them a little as needed.  I usually have a mode
switch that makes the layout invisible in normal usage, but visible in
development and testing.  (I make heavy use of setprop and got myself
into trouble when I didn't check the target, so take care with those.)
When the library is no longer needed or is saved, it cleans up the
layout pages to keep the library stack from containing old reports.

Almost all of the report generation in this style is the bubbling of
info through setprops.

Now all this is a lot more work than canned report generation and for
many uses an overkill, but it supports (in my experience) Kevin
Miller's statement.

Of course, this does not address concerns of printer setup & their
preferences as well as Unicode issues.

I realize that is not quite a recipe, Paul.

Dar