use-revolution Digest, Vol 16, Issue 64

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Jan 21 14:13:31 EST 2005

A couple of perhaps prejudiced observations here.

First, accreditation generally isn't credible unless it is issued by an
independent third party testing organization. Having RunRev "certify"
Rev developers would, in almost all real-world cases, be meaningless.

Second, as the world of Java certification has shown, this is a
seldom-used idea except by very large corporations looking for a
no-brainer way to screen out applicants when there's an over-abundance
of talent, a problem the Rev community does not now have is not likely
ever to face.

Finally, certification is really only helpful -- when it is at all --
to fairly newcomers to the game. Experienced programmers get their
credibility by reference and demonstration of work done to date.

I for one would not want to see RunRev spend any energy in this area
with so many other things that we all need them to be doing.

dan