Characters not displaying in a field?

Lynch, Jonathan BNZ2 at CDC.GOV
Tue Jan 18 16:52:39 EST 2005

Is there any kind of similar limit for variables?

I have a script that creates html. For the app the html is being pasted
into, I cannot have return characters in it. So, after compiling all the
html into a variable, I replace the linefeeds with empty (and have tried
other means of substitution as well). Occassionally (about 1 in 10
cases) it will refuse to put the extended data (without linefeeds) into
a variable (which is just put into the clipboard, not into a field).
Instead, it will cut off the data partway into it. If I do not remove
the linefeeds, then it does not cut off the data.

I am a bit stumped by it.

-----Original Message-----
From: use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com
[mailto:use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com] On Behalf Of Richard
Gaskin
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 4:47 PM
To: How to use Revolution
Subject: Re: Characters not displaying in a field?

kee nethery wrote:
> I'm trying to put 140000 characters into a field, no spaces. The put
> into field statement has two variables that get concatenated
>
> put return & variableA & return & bunchOCharacters into field
"thefield"

> VariableA shows up in the field but bunchOCharacters does not
>
> When I copy the contents of the field and paste into a text document,
> the bunchOCharacters data is in the text document
>
> What's up? Why does the text, bunchOCharacters, not display in the
field?

This is a known limitation:  the text engine can display up to 65,535
characters on a single line.

What is the end-user looking for in a display of 140000 characters?
Could there be another way to present that information which would both
fit in the 64k-per-line limit and give them an easier time finding what
they need?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation