Table field bug/typo in revWriteCellValue

Jerry Balzano gjbalzano at popmail.ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 17 18:47:38 EST 2005

(this is a resend of a message after several days; please excuse if the
original manages to get through also)

I was having trouble figuring out how to read and write the contents of
table fields, so I checked the archive and found a post by Jan Schenkel
from last September
(http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-September/
044383.html) where he describes how to use the revReadCellValue and
revWriteCellValue handlers.  I tried these -- actually, the one I tried
was revWriteCellValue -- without success.  In fact the result of
calling this handler was the creation of a field on the current card.
What was going on here? I then took a look at the script of the
"revTable" button in revLibrary, and I found the following disturbing
line in the handler (the fifth line in the following):

-- you guessed it, dirty trick upcoming
   lock screen
   lock messages
   create field
   put it inot tFieldRef

I assumed this last line was supposed to be "put it INTO tFieldRef, and
I even worked up the courage to change it to that (on my laptop copy of
Revolution) ... but it still didn't work!

I am not terribly conversant with the niceties of "frontScripts" and so
forth, so this is more of a plea for assistance than anything else.  I
would really like to be able to read and write cell entries in a table
field, and I can't seem to do it even though I am using the proper
handlers and, as far as I can tell, calling them in the proper way
(actually just following the clear and simple directions Jan provided
in the 9-30-04 posting).  So, ????

Thanks,
Jerry Balzano

Dr. Gerald J. Balzano
Teacher Education Program
Dept of Music
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
Program in Cognitive Science
UC San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093
(858) 822-0092