open file versus launch commands

James Cass cassj at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 16 17:57:56 EST 2005

Stephen -

"launch" should work within the IDE without having to build the
standalone.  You can put the following code in a button as a test.  It
even works in a multiline message box, using just the 5 lines of code
within the mouseup handler.

on mouseUp
   answer file "Choose a text file to open..."
   put it into targetFile
   answer file "Choose your Text editor application..."
   put it into textEditorApp
   launch targetFile with textEditorApp
end mouseUp

HTH...James