Standalone

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jan 8 15:49:20 EST 2005

Marian Petrides wrote:

> A standalone application executes on its own when you double-click on it.
>
> I've never used Dreamcard player, but I assume it is like Hypercard's
> player--when you double click on a Hypercard stack, the player opens
> and displays the stack--i.e. it is a way for a person who does not
> have Hypercard to be able to display a stack.  I assume Dreamcard
> Player works the same, but like I said, I've never used it.

The Dreamcard player can be downloaded free from the RunRev site. It can
then be used to run stacks (either from RevOnline or by downloading a
stack and running it) - i.e. just like the Hypercard player, by the
sound of it.

One thing to watch out for - there's a bug in the Windows version which
means that you can't properly just double-click the stack - doing so
runs the stack but the cursor is invisible. It's therefore necessary to
run the player and then run the stack from that.

There are advantages to using Player + stack rather than standalones; if
you (or your users) are on slow dial-up lines, it's a 20-30 second
download for a typical stack, rather than 8-10 minutes for a small
standalone.

-- Alex.