More on Windows printing...

Lynch, Jonathan BNZ2 at CDC.GOV
Fri Jan 7 09:18:29 EST 2005

For my current project - it is not that important.

For the idea I have for a future project, it would be important. It
involves a complex sort of internet publishing of a multimedia form of
daily/weekly/monthly magazines. It would only be important in the sense
that it would be nice for the reader to be able to print out the product
without having any words clipped.

As to the question, would it be worth the trouble - I think so. Not just
because it would benefit that project, but because it would be really
nice for all Rev users to have available a "PrintforWindows" function
that works perfectly that they could use without having to modify it
greatly.

As for word macros - ugh. I have done it, it was torture, couldn't do
soooo many things I needed, and required much very difficult and awkward
programming just to do simple things that take like 10 seconds to
program in Rev. I never was able to figure out how to have a scrolling
field in Word that also can be readily accessed by scripts. You can put
in an html style scrolling field on a Word doc, but accessing and
changing the content of that field just did not seem practical. It may
have been my lack of ability to figure it out - but that, in and of
itself, is very telling. It was easy to figure out in Rev.

As for lower level languages - well, that might work for the printing
thing, but then I would be stuck using that for everything else. I think
my idea would not work without using a development environment that
allows for very fast programming, since it would involve custom
programming for each issue of a given publication.

If my choice is between having imperfect printing with Rev, or perfect
printing with something else - Rev will definitely be the way to go for
me.