Using ODBC on Win platforms

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Jan 5 22:51:58 EST 2005

On Jan 2, 2005, at 2:02 AM, André Rombauts wrote:

> Is anyone using Run Rev Studio on XP platform and make access to Access
> database with ODBC? Would like to discuss about issues related to DB
> management both off and on-line.
>
> For instance, apart from problems already mentionned here months ago
> (not
> all revdatabase functions are applicable), I cannot make a correct ODBC
> connect through DSN unless I'm using the machine/user dependant way,
> thus
> preventing me from distributing an apllication...
>
> How should I write this line?
>
> put revOpenDatabase("ODBC","mydb","","Admin","zulu") into myDB
>
> Should I place 'mydb' or use the full path to the  DSN file (when
> using the
> machine / user dependant way, the name is inside Win registers)?
> Should I
> put login and psw for accessing (the one used withe machine /
> dependant way
> are those from the Access file an dit is working).
>
> I intend to distribute an application with a database that will be
> updated
> by online access.
>
> If you are not using Access on XP what is your DB solution?

André,

I have only dabbled with ODBC and Access so I can't answer your
connection questions but if you are distributing an application to
users you might want to look at a solution like Valentina
<http://paradigmasoft.com/>.  This doesn't require setting up any DSN
connections on the computer, you just need an external.  I've used it
on numerous projects and have been very happy with it.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com