Externals written in not(c)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jan 4 19:03:50 EST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Gordon Webster wrote:

> It
> clearly says that you can write an external in any
> language of your choosing provided that the
> compilation supports certain features that are
> essential for the rev interface.

Yes, it can be done if your dll can handle the C-style calls.  You need
to export a single function that provides all the calling info.

However, it might be easier to create a glue dll.  I do that for C++.

If you're just doing some math, you might want to consider just doing
it in C.

There is an overhead for external calls, so you want to do many
primitive math operations per call.

Rev is pretty fast at math.  You might want to run some tests to see if
this is worthwhile.  Maybe it will be in some complicated formulas or
in matrix operations.

Dar