Externals written in not(c)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Jan 4 22:42:22 EST 2005

Gordon-

GW> My goal in all of this?

GW> Having natively compiled scientific/math libraries
GW> that run at blazing speed behind my rev app, doing the
GW> donkey work on the numbers while rev seduces the user
GW> with its enchanting interface.

Well, I haven't tried this with any Basic versions, but you *should*
be able to create a compatible DLL with VB. Remember that you need to
export the a couple of items to make them publicly accessible. That
Xtable is really the key to it all: if the rev engine can see it then
it uses that as a vector to get to your functions.

...but... if your end goal is to get more speed out of things, keep in
mind that AFAIK basic *compiles* down to pseudo-code which is then run
in its own pcode interpreter. I doubt that you'll see an improvement
in speed by offloading math tasks to basic. I have taken external math
routines I used to have in C to get some speed out of HyperCard and
now run them *all* natively in runrev. YMMV.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net