FTP

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 15:09:11 EST 2005

On 12/28/05 11:55 AM, "Jeff Honken" <jhonken at x12.info> wrote:

> I've never used FTP with Runrev but doesn't he have to have a FTP server
> on his end to upload the files to?  He said that he'd created a
> directory and can access it but can he access it with FTP? Just
> wondering. I have to write an app here soon that uses FTP.  Jeff

You are correct about the FTP server.
On a Mac using OSX, it is very easy to set up an FTP service on the computer
you are using, however you have to have a static IP on your network for
those outside to be able to ping your server.

In my case I have both a Mac OSX FTP server with static IP and a few hosted
ftp sites where I have login/password access, and of course, they have setup
the static IP addresses & domain names.

Further, if you have a static IP but no domain name, that address is used in
place of the 'domainName.com' as in
ftp://username:password@ftp.123.444.55.678/drop/

As you contemplate the app building, do research the built-in library of FTP
commands and features.  Also search for example Rev stacks that have been
built and readily available.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas