"There was an error..."

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Dec 28 13:41:54 EST 2005

Rob Cozens wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a stack that runs fine interpretively on both Win XP (Rev 2.6.1)
> & Mac OSX (Rev 2.1.2).  It also compiles and runs correctly on OSX. The
> stack is compressed & decompressed with each transfer between platforms.
>
> Compiling on Windows gives me "There was an error while saving the
> standalone application."  That's nice to know; but it gives me little to
> go on to track down the error.
>
> Other Windows compiles into the same folder have worked with no problem.
>
> Ideas or suggestions, anyone?

This gets asked a lot, so I have some boilerplate. Maybe something in
here will help.

Possible causes for this error are:

1. The path to the stack contains non-ASCII characters, such as
diacritical marks or accent marks.  Avoid the use of accented or
non-ASCII characters in path names.

2. The standalone builder is set to search for inclusions but the stack
is password protected. Select the inclusions manually instead, or remove
the password.

3. Alternately, the standalone builder may be having trouble searching
for the required inclusions regardless of password protection. Turn off
"Search for required inclusions" and turn on "Select inclusions for the
standalone application." Then choose the resources you need to include
yourself in the Standalone Settings dialog.

4. The folder name is the same as your standalone's name. You need a
unique folder name; make sure you select an empty folder with a name
different from the standalone's name.  If you have previously built a
standalone from the same stack, do not try to build a new one into the
same folder. Trying to overwrite an existing standalone with a new one
can casue problems. Rename or remove the old folder first, and then build.

5. Your source stack's file name does not use an extension, or uses an
incorrect extension. Make sure your stack's file name ends with the
extension ".rev"

6. Your source stack contains duplicate "message box" or "ask" or
"answer" dialogs. Remove the embedded stacks and let the standalone
builder add them instead. (This usually only occurs with stacks
originally created in MetaCard.)

Make sure you have done "Check for updates" to be sure you have the most
recent version of the standalone settings stack.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com