Debugging and the execution path

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Fri Dec 23 17:05:42 EST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 12:15 PM, Dennis Brown wrote:
> Saving the watched set with the object is useful, because you may
> have more than one project you are working on and debugging.  It is
> nice to start up where you left off --when rev crashes due to some
> horrible bug in your code.

The debugger could store the watched variables/expressions on a per-
object basis (that's what I suggested) without using custom
properties. I don't often have Rev crash, but the debugging
information could easily be written to a preference file, which would
make it as permanent as a custom property without having it live in
my project.

> Still, all things considered custom properties are a reasonable and
> simple way to keep track of debugging stuff.

Debugging is an inherently temporary process. Custom properties are
permanent. To me that settles it right there. But if there is an
included tool to say, "I'm done debugging, remove all the custom
properties you were using," then I could live with it. I'd still
wonder why an array saved to a preference file wouldn't have worked.

gc