Rights to write in Programs folder

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Dec 22 13:10:55 EST 2005

Hi David,

>I would prefer to stick to the subfolder data saving method - unless
>anyone can persuade me that there is a much better way to go.

In addition to the access issue Sarah mentioned, the problem is
compounded by MacOSX application bundles.

The specialFolderPath function allows you to refer to a folder
generically (eg: "documents", "preferences") and allow the user to
determine the actual folder.  AFAIK, both Win XP and Mac OSX, support
multiple user setups; so that the folder one user sees as "My
Documents" is different from the one a different user sees when
logged on to the same computer.  I don't know how your app can be
compliant (unless all users share preferences & data) unless you use
the specialFolderPath.

While it's too bad the specialFolderPath arguments are different for
different platforms; but it's still the way to go, sez moi.

Rob Cozens, CCW
Serendipity Software Company

Vive R Revolution!