Bush-like weasel words about standalone

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 22 12:31:44 EST 2005

Les Harris wrote:
>>If RB has found a way to coerce the Windows OS into handling resource
>>forks I'd be interested in learning more.
>
> Its nothing too exciting.  Visual Studio employs the same method.  You
> have resource file foo.res.  After compilation you link foo.res into the
> main executable.  :)

IF Visual Studio does it, we're talking about a different animal:  while
resource *files* are common on other systems, only Mac OS has a dual
file system which supports a resource *fork*:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos8/Files/ResourceManager/resourcemanager.html>

To make a Mac Classic application on any other OS will require some
additional step done on a Mac to make it run.

Fortunately it won't matter much longer:  the MacTels are almost here,
so the days of Classic are numbered....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal